Begin with the end in mind
– Stephen Covey
DIY Digital Audit: 10 steps to get your house in order before paying for ads
More often than not, when we start advertising for a new client – whether they have advertising in place or not, we need to spend time to ‘fix their funnel’ at the same time their new advertising goes live.
This is less than ideal for the client for multiple reasons:
- Wasted Time. Since the data we are receiving isn’t ‘clean’ (part of it is distorted since the funnel is being fixed at the same time), we now need to extend our advertising period so we can be sure of the difference that paid advertising specifically is making. We have to allow a grace period to factor in any measurement & tracking cleanup and/or audience building before we can start baselining our advertising data.
- Wasted Money. You’re now paying us for both our services and for advertising charges while we’re cleaning up your online marketing funnel – when you didn’t need to. It was entirely possible to have your online marketing funnel clean – before engaging our services.
- Co-mingled Data. It’s more difficult to do a ‘before and after’ comparison when there is an extended overlap period of ‘funnel fixing’ data co-mingled with paid advertising data.
So to save future clients time, money and hassle, we’ve decided to write this 10 part series of steps you can take to get your digital house in order – before you start paying for advertising.
This way, when it does come time to start advertising, you can hit the ground running!
Without any further ado, lets get started!
Clarify your Business objectives
If your website was your sales team – would you fire them or give them a promotion?
Many Brands still have what we refer to as a ‘website as brochureware’ – it’s passive and is only going to be read by someone who’s probably already made up their mind.
But your website can be more than that – in fact, if could be your very best sales team.
If your website was to ‘sell’ for you (whether that’s a product, service, or even Brand attribute) – how would you know? If you could throw incredible prospects at this website, how would you know if they converted? If your website sales funnel was out-performing (or even broken) – how would you know?
Your first step – away from the website (!) – is to sit back and consider:
- Sales. What would need to happen on your website to signal to you that a Sale has occurred?
- Lead Generation. What would need to happen on your website to signal to you that you’ve just secured a lead?
- Funnel Progression. What would need to happen on your website to signal to you that a prospect has moved closer to a buying decision – down one tier in your marketing funnel to the next?
Defining the main objectives for your website and the signals you need to know about is the most important work you can do on your website – and should then (after your Brand Styleguide) inform everything else about your site: structure, navigation, layout, page depth, user journey.
That’s it for Part 1 of our “Before you pay for clicks” series. In Part 2, let’s Calibrate Your Measurement Platform.
How can we help?
Not many people know this but the word ‘Crisis’ in Chinese is actually made up of 2 characters, one means Danger and the other means opportunity.
Although we are going through this crisis, this current situation can force us to come up with better and more efficient processes, internal collaborations and better leaderships.
If you need help with your Online Ads, reach out to us here: https://intnt.nl/hello
Stay up to date
Get notified when we release more content. Subscribe here.